Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Answer a Question For Me

I was listening to Peggy Lee instead of doing my homework, and I stumbled upon this song that I have always enjoyed. I don't know if it's because I am reading some feminist criticism in my Lit. Theory class or what, but I found this interesting.

I don't know if enough people read my blog to ask a question, but imma do it anyway. Do you think this is offensive? I mean, is a woman only valued for the fact that she can cook and clean well...o and be a good lover too? I've been thinking about this a lot lately. When my mother encourages me to be more womanly, what does that even mean? 

Does it mean being a pious nun? A bra burning feminist? A housekeeper/cook/mother? A man-hating career woman? I don't think there is an answer to this question, but I'm curious to see what you (and when I say you, I am probably only talking to Kellie) think of this. Let me know. 

1 comment:

  1. YAY! i got a shout-out on lyndee's blog! i have really made it now!

    as for my answer...
    i think you posed a very interesting and thoughtful question. i think that, just like beauty, everyone has their own definition. for some women, maybe bra-burning and becoming the next ceo of a major corporation is womanly. for others, motherhood and being a good homemaker might make one feel more feminine.
    sister margaret nadauld said "The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity." i think i would agree with sister nadauld. tenderness, kindness, refinement, faithfulness, goodness, virtue, and purity are all qualities that aren't necessarily feminine by nature, but makes one feel more womanly, if that makes any sense.

    ultimately, i guess it's the whole nature vs nurture thing. if you were born in the 1940s, i bet you would agree with peggy lee and think that being womanly means being a perfect homemaker and wife. but things are different now, and there are different things that make women feel empowered and feminine.

    anyway! i'm rambling now.
    i hope that answered your question!

    ps: the next time you want some female empowerment in the form of music, you should try some destiny's child!

    ReplyDelete